Birmingham silver dating hallmarks splitting holidays when dating
Dublin’s assay office has been operating since the middle of the 17th century and silver is still marked there.
Most British and Irish silver carries a number of stamps indicating not just the standard or purity mark (typically the lion passant) but also the initials of the maker, a date letter and the place of assay.
Dublin silver is struck with a crowned harp, to which a seated figure of Hibernia was added in 1731.
The Edinburgh mark is a three-turreted castle (to which a thistle was added from 1759 until 1975 when a lion rampant replace the thistle); the mark for Sheffield was a crown until 1974 when it was replaced by a rosette, while the symbol for silver made in Birmingham is an anchor.
These four nations have, historically, provided a wealth of information about a piece through their series of applied punches: London assay office hallmarks on the back of a waiter, or small square salver.
A silver object that is to be sold commercially is, in most countries, stamped with one or more silver hallmarks indicating the purity of the silver, the mark of the manufacturer or silversmith, and other (optional) markings to indicate date of manufacture and additional information about the piece.
ADIE BROTHERS LTDBirmingham The firm was incorporated in 1906 joining the firms of Mc Kewan & Adie (manufacturing jewellers, gold and silversmiths) and E. Active at Portland Works, 55 Arundel St, Sheffield (1898-1912). The firm, active in High St, Paisley, became Arthur & Fraser (1849), Arthur & Co (late 1850's) and Arthur & Co Ltd (1878).
It had manufacturing premises in Birmingham and London C. Listed at 7 Hatton Garden, (1893-1894) and 12 Bartlett's Buildings, London (1897-1900). ARTHUR & CO Ltd Glasgow (possibly) A retailer business started in 1837 by James Arthur.